Kyle | Senior Portraits

Friday, August 21, 2009 | |

I got the chance to shoot some senior portraits in Tacoma today for the first time! I was beyond excited for change of scenery. A couple of weeks ago, I got a phone call from Trish, Kyle's mom. She said that she had seen my flyer at Cole's house. Cole was a Freshman when I was a Junior in high school. We were involved in a number of activities together including Jazz Band, Marching Band, Drama and Schools 4 Schools. Trish is actually Cole's cousin, but they just refer to Kyle and Cole as cousins since they're closer in age. I thought it was way cool that they wanted ME to take Kyle's photos, especially when I was all the way in Olympia and such.

When I first met them, Trish mentioned that she really liked my work, all the angles... hinting at me often laying down... I had to do it at least once in this session! Kyle will be a Senior this year Stadium High School. Yes, Stadium High School as in the high school they used for the infamous movie, Ten Things I Hate About You. I personally had never been there, so it was kind of exciting to be there for the first time. It is a gorgeous school and in the nicer area of Tacoma.

Kyle's mom and his younger brother, Tyson, tagged along for the session. His mom attempted to be his stylist. We had a couple outfit changes, took a number of photos at the high school and then headed to Wright Park less than 3 minutes away for some more photos. It's a beautiful park- kinda reminded me of Central Park in New York when I went.

Lucky for Kyle, he was the first person I got to photograph with my new 50mm 1.8 II lens I got in the mail yesterday. Even though it's made out of plastic, it definitely is worth it for only $100. I needed a prime lens anyway. ;) He was also the first person I got to photograph with my new CF cards. (I rushed to Costco with my cousin to buy some right before because I accidentally only brought one with me- I usually take about 500-600 RAW images on sessions like Kyle's).

Anyway, I had a blast. Kyle and his family was very easy to get along with and before we knew it, time was up. I'm sure Kyle was all 'smiled' out. I hope you guys love these images as much as I loved laying on concrete to photograph Kyle. ;) Honestly, I couldn't pick a favorite... there was too many. Have a great Senior year Kyle (he wants to get in the medical field after graduation, how sweet is that?) :)

PS: Do you guys enjoy reading these stories before I post photos? I'd like your opinion. Night!



in front of Stadium



Thought this was cool

The bleachers!

... added some texture to this one.

Middle of the road... Trish watched out for us.

I love the one on the right- his smile looks so genuine!

Kyle and his younger brother, Tyson (I hope that's how you spell it).

1 comments:

cole6 said...

WOW! THESE ARE AWESOME! Kyle, great photos, your very photogenic. Dorothy, another amazing job!

Blog Archive